Monday, August 24, 2009

Hip Polar Bears and Backpackers


I stayed in a hostel in Nuremburg for backpackers last night. In talking with a traveler from Toronto, he said something that struck a chord. I asked about his travels and he said he had just been here and there but that he just arrived in town and that he planned to 'do Nuremburg in a day.'

Can anyone truly appreciate a city, any city, in a day? Is a place's worth based on the sights to be seen or is it based on the people who inhabit the area? I would like to believe the latter, that it is the people and what the people create - the food, culture, architecture, atmosphere - that give a town value. Now, can one come to understand a group of people in only a day?

Maybe I am reading too far into this, but I think this is why some inhabitants are resistant to tourists. Either way, I would rather live in a place for a few months instead of 'doing it in a day.'

No comments:

Post a Comment