
After being away from States for over 6 months, it was good to be back. I have to admit, during my first few days I had a reverse culture shock. At the supermarket I was a bit overwhelmed being surrounded by so many English-speakers. I have been used to being in my own reality when running errands and hearing only white noise. Yes, I could make sense of the static, but sometimes it was nice just to do my own thing. Also the customer service of the stores and the politeness of strangers took me off guard. I had also forgotten how awesome it was to have all my choices available in one place, and not having to go to 2 stores and an apotheke (drugstore) just to finish my grocery shopping. God Bless America.

It was great to see so much of my friends and family. When I do, it always reminds me how fortunate I am. So I am going to share some highlights of the visit:
Within my first week back, my family reunited in Cupertino (Brock and Dina flew in, and Sage drove down). There were jokes that we should have taken xmas photos while we had everyone together. Next, I headed down to Santa Barbara to officially graduate and walk (only 2 years late, but just right for Kyle Time). I tried be a cool guy and keep my sunglasses on for the ceremony. Some of my friends were riding me for how white I was, so I had to explain to them that the sun doesn't always visit the rest of the world.

I stayed with my 2nd set of parents down in Santa Barbara, Bob and Jen, who put me up in their pool house. They were even cool enough to let a friend, Peter, crash in Bob's VW van for a few nights. I met Peter while playing in Düsseldorf and I think he felt at home in zee German auto.

It was Peter's first time in America, so I enjoyed showing him all the stuff he was missing out on - Costco, In-N-Out, SUV's, and Mexican food. We drove down to Ventura to meet up with my buddy Ross, and Ross gave us some lessons on how to surf: I want you to ignore your instincts. Koonu will be your instincts. Don't try to surf, don't do it. The less you do, the more you do... Let's see you pop up... Pop it up... No, too slow. Do less... You're doing too much.

After Peter flew home, I drove back up north and was able to catch Jav's younger brothers perform their first show in SF. It was pretty sweet. Below I am standing between Jav and Jaime, Chrisitian (Jaime's cousin) is on the right. Jaime has like 40 cousins and I have met almost all of them.

On the Monday of the last week of June I got a call from my agent, Ari, telling me that there is an opportunity for me at the end of the week in Germany. So I scrambled to find a ticket leaving that Friday. Right after talking with Ari, I got a call inviting me to play with the Earthquakes against the U-20 US team. It's funny how sometimes there is nothing, and then everything happens all at once. Maybe that's what life is -- being prepared to make the most out of that phone call.


2 comments:
Air Doyle!
you also were lucky enough to see meredith. i guess you didn't want to brag though.
Post a Comment