Tuesday, July 21, 2009

12 Months in 4 Paragraphs


Dear Family and Friends ,

After reading blogs from my friends, Brian Gump and Eric Martin, and dodging the question, 'What are you doing?' I have decided to keep those closest to me a little bit closer with tales of my travels.

Now the question of where to begin. I missed out on my senior season after breaking my fibula (that's the smaller of the two bones in the lower leg, for those of you who were not health science minors) in the first 5 min of an exhibition match. Anyhow, I spent the next three months waiting for my opportunity to return to play, learning patience from crutches, and making the most of the experience.

When my leg had healed, the college season ended along with my opportunity to get exposure for the next level. MLS draft day came and went, and I spent the next 6 months finishing school and trying to break into A-League teams (a tier below MLS). I was playing some of my best soccer, but I realize now that my leg had not fully recovered. Still without a club, I played PDL (4th division) with the Ventura Fusion and took summer school. My teammates were awesome and knew how to play, but for most of the season we underachieved in our games.

About halfway through the PDL season I was presented with the opportunity to tour Croatia with a team of Americans with the goal of signing a pro contract. The only problem was that I would have to miss playoffs (a good opportunity for exposure) if the Fusion qualified. After a tough decision, I did what I thought was best and headed to Croatia. I later learned that the Fusion not only qualified for the playoffs, but also won the National Championship. I was very proud of my teammates and genuinely happy for them. Many of them got picked up by A-League and MLS teams after the Championship.

Anyhow, I don't know what the future holds for me. But I do know this: I love to play and I want to compete at the highest level possible for as long as my body allows. I don't know if I will get a professional contract - I realize that is something out of my control. But that's not the point. The point is to make the most of situation and opportunity given. The point is to maximize potential. The point is to enjoy the fight.

Please follow me on my journey. If you stay with me, I will try to keep it light and interesting.

Love,
kjk

No comments:

Post a Comment