Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hamburger

Today I sat down with the manager of Drochtersen to discuss the conditions for signing me for the remainder of the season. Nothing is official yet, so I have been putting off the celebrations until after I play in my first match. The biggest delay will be for my International Transfer Clearance which must be completed by the DFB (German Football Federation) and the USSF (US Soccer Federation). When I am cleared by the powers at be, I hope to do work on the field and help this club get promoted to the next division.


Hamburg is an international melting pot of art and culture like a New York and yet it has the liberal sociability of a San Francisco. We checked out the Sternschanze the other day and had some tee and ice cream in front of this beat up building. Supposedly, the structure was city-owned and home to struggling artists -- welcomed or not, I did not know.

St. Pauli is a club in Hamburg playing in the 2nd Bundesliga and fighting to get into the 1st. I was fortunate enough to check out a match and this club has the raddest culture I have ever seen. A carnival bordering the stadium adds to the feel of an oddball, carny atmosphere; their emblem of a skull and crossbones explains their nickname as the "pirates of the league"; and their colors of brown, red and white gives the feel of dirty and diehard with a pinch of class. To be a fan of the club is to be part of the "kult" culture. Everyone, from children to doctors to punk rockers, supports the club. If I had the chance, I would love to play for this side.

No comments:

Post a Comment